Fool for Love
All entrants will receive score sheets and feedback from first round judges by June 1st.
Fee: $30/current VRW members; $35/non-members; $5 discount (max) for first-round judges
Accepting Dates: March 1-April 1, 2017
- All categories, except the Published Author category, are open to entrants who have not published and are not contracted in any novel-length fiction.
- All work must be the author’s original work that has never been published in any form ever, and has not been contracted for publication prior to the entry deadline of April 1, 2017. This applies to all entries, including entries in the Published Author category.
- Authors who have been published or contracted for novel-length fiction, including e-books by any publisher and/or has self-published at least one book are considered published. These authors are eligible for the Published Author category only.
- The actual entries, however, must never have been published nor be under contract prior to the deadline of April 1, 2017.
- Previous 1st place winners MAY NOT re-enter the winning entry, even in edited format. They may, however, enter another work. Previous 2nd and 3rd place entries are eligible for entry, revision encouraged.
- It is not a requirement to have a finished novel-length manuscript in order to enter this contest.
- The beginning of the manuscript up to 7500 word maximum entry (approximately 30 pages) submitted electronically.
- A prologue may be included as long as the entry does not exceed 7500 words.
- NO SYNOPSIS.
- Each manuscript may be entered in only one category, but an author may submit multiple entries.
- Finalists will have an opportunity to read first-round feedback and revise entry for final round.
Categories & Final Round Judges:
Long Contemporary: SUE GRIMSHAW, PENGUIN/RANDOM HOUSE
Historical Romance: ALETHEA SPIRODON, ENTANGLED PUBLISHING
Romantic Suspense: ALEXANDRA SEHULSTER, ST. MARTIN’S PRESS
Short Contemporary Romance: KEREN REED, LOOSE ID
Young Adult Romance: TAYLOR HAGGERTY, WAXMAN LEAVELL AGENCY
Dark Paranormal Romance: ANDREA SOMBERG, HARVEY KLINGER AGENCY
Light Paranormal Romance: TRICIA SKINNER, FUSE LITERARY AGENCY
New Adult Romance: AMANDA LEUCK, SPENCERHILL AGENCY
Published Author: NICOLE FISCHER, Associate Editor, AVON
First Round Judges: Published and Trained romance authors
Final Judges: Editors and Agents
1st Place in each category – $50 plus ONE free manuscript entry into either of VRW’s annual contests; 2nd and 3rd place will receive a certificate and free entry in next year’s FOOL FOR LOVE contest.